Upcoming Monarch Joint Venture Events
Scroll down to see the events calendar.
Monarch Conservation Webinar Series:
2:00-3:00 PM Eastern, Tuesday June 6th- How Pollinators are the Glue Connecting Agriculture, Conservation and Habitat, with Pete Berthelsen (Pheasants Forever, Director of Habitat Partnerships)
Description: The increased focus and interest in pollinator health and habitat offers unique opportunities to build collaborations with groups and individuals with a broad range of interests. This webinar will provide a unique perspective about the opportunity to reach out and collaborate with interests that range from water quality and soil health to sustainability, managing right-of-way’s to concerns about grassland songbirds, Agriculture Industry and commodity groups to environmental groups, and species constituency groups to the next Farm Bill. In many ways, the issue of ‘pollinators’ offers a unique opportunity to bring together a wide, diverse and significant collation that may not have found many other issues in common. The objective of this webinar is to stir your perspective about who may be your next significant partner in delivering pollinator health and habitat benefits.
2:00-3:00 PM Eastern, Thursday July 20th- The Pillars of High Quality Pollinator Habitat Management, with Pete Berthelsen (Pheasants Forever, Director of Habitat Partnerships.)
More details to come soon!
MCSP Integrated Monitoring Strategy Trainings:
The monarch population has seriously declined over the last twenty years. To protect these beautiful, iconic pollinators, it is crucial that we have high quality information on their distribution, habitat availability and habitat quality. The Monarch Conservation Science Partnership needs the help of volunteer citizen scientists, like you, to collect this information. Your participation in this national monitoring effort will inform how stakeholders across North America conserve the iconic monarch butterfly! Read more about the program here.
Trainings will take place in three locations:
- MN Valley National Wildlife Refuge, Bloomington, MN: June 3rd-4th
- Fenner Nature Center, Lansing, MI: June 10th-11th
- UW-Madison Arboretum, Madison, WI: June 24th-25th
Monarchs on Farms Demonstration Days:
Join us for hands-on demonstrations, activities, and information about installing and managing native habitat for monarchs and other wildlife on farms. We are offering a series of field days across Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin. Choose the date and location that works best for you. Field days are free! Pre-registration is requested. Support for this project comes from the New York Community Trust.
Topics covered will include:
- Site selection and site prep methods for native plantings
- Seed mix design, planting methods, and management
- Native plant ID and monitoring plant establishment
- Monarch biology and conservation
- Farm bill programs and funding opportunities for farmers
- Beyond monarchs: benefits of habitat to wildlife & humans
- Tues. June 20th 9-11am Luze Farm Corp, Dysart IA.
- Thurs. June 22nd 9am-12pm ISU Borlaug Learning Center, Nashua IA.
- Weds. Sep 20, 9am-12pm Renewable Farm, Cedar Falls IA
- Thurs. Sep 21, 4:30-6:30pm J.H. Roadman Memorial Park, Dike IA.
Minnesota Register here!
- Wed. May 24th, 1-4pm York Farm, Hutchinson, MN Stay after for pizza on the farm and photo show!
- Tues. July 25th, 1-4pm Uproot Farm, Princeton, MN)
- Fri. July 28th, 1-4pm Garden Farme, Ramsey, MN
- Thurs. Aug 3rd, 1-4pm Open Hands Farm, Spring Wind Farm, and Little Hill Berry Farm, Northfield, MN
Wisconsin Register here!
- Fri. May 19th, 2017, 1-4pm Taproot Farm, Ridgeway, WI
- Fri. Aug 18th, 1-4pm Heidel Family Dairy Farm, Adell, WI
NOTE: Please email email@example.com to request events be added to this calendar. As noted at the bottom of the calendar, all events displayed are shown as central time. To follow the events more closely, simply add the calendar to your Google Calendar by using the button in the lower right-hand corner. In doing this, your default time zone should be displayed on all Monarch Butterfly Events listed on your Google Calendar.